A GPS unit is a WONDERFUL thing! What did we ever do before we were told, “Turn left in 500 feet” and shown a little map of where we are??
Here’s a hitch….thieves.
Today, a customer of yours truly posted that their GPS was stolen out of their car. This immediately set-off a warning bell in my head! I was genuinely concerned for their safety!
Here’s what happens:
- Thief cruises the mall parking lot looking for a car that
- is easy to break into
- has a GPS unit stuck to the windshield
- Thief steals GPS
- Thief presses <HOME> on the unit and is given turn-by turn directions to YOUR HOUSE (which is empty…since you’re shopping at the mall)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What can I do?
- When you park somewhere, take your GPS unit down and toss it in the glove box
- I know…it’s a pain…but then again, so are insurance claims
- When you program your <HOME> address, use the intersection closest to your house or, if there is a business/restaurant/anything commercial down the street, use that!
- I know…you don’t live there. You just want something close so your GPS will still route you home correctly when you press <HOME>…you should be able to get there from the intersection less than a block away.
For instance, I live on N. Forest Rd. in Williamsville. However, if you press <HOME> on either of our GPS units, they take you to the Sunoco station at Maple Rd & N. Forest Rd. That’s close enough for us.
Stay safe out there! I care!!